Pages

Friday 9 January 2015

port of call (by Luan Blake)

I visit my Nana, Kathleen Moores aged 92, who was born and bred in Oswaldtwistle. As dementia takes its grip, our conversations meander from this to that, from past to present. My nana was a weaver, a cleaner, a munitions worker, a laundry lass, a factory inspector, a school cook, and Mother to three daughters. She was also a tap dancer by night.

I am fascinated in the way that she can remember aspects of her past with such clarity in comparison to her short term memory. More over, how she forgets so quickly what I have just told her, yet she can remember tap dance steps, or the movements of her body from when she worked as a weaver.

Body memory, what does the body retain as well as the mind?

Our conversation triggers me to think about hard graft. My Nana was a grafter.

For now, here is a short sound edit of my Nana Moores.

No comments:

Post a Comment